[RFI] c'mon folks

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Mon Jan 3 11:27:46 PST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Peter Laws wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 00:06, W. Harris <nbcblue at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This comment has been made more than once on this forum.
>>
>> "Since 9/11,interference to Amateur Radio communications is considered domestic
>> terrorism.  Treat it as such."
>>
>> I would like to know if there is anything that officially documents this.
>

> Of course there isn't.  It's no different from a few ARES/RACES types
> claiming to be "first responders".  It's all hooey.

Agreed, Peter - hooey of the first degree. Now if a person willfully interferes with an emergency, that's one thing, this is something else.

Minor rant follows....

So are we going to have our neighbors arrested and sent to prison because they have a battery charger with a problem? And plasma TV's are the downfall of the western hemisphere? Maybe less caffeine is in order?

I'd respectfully suggest that some of us re-read what some of us have been posting here. If we approach our neighbors with the same attitude as these postings, it is no wonder some of us have problems getting interference fixed. Perhaps something different....

I've maintained good relations with every neighbor I ever had. Most of them were great, we did have one that was not the best person on earth, but I even got along with him. Any people that move into the neighborhood, we meet with, say hello, and yes, they know I'm a ham from the get go.

A woman who rents out the next house to married college students, we've met with her too. Everything nice, share a cup of coffee or a beer, and a sit down on the patio, and you'd be amazed at just how easy it is to get cooperation. I even raked the neighbor ladies' yard once. She was shocked, but appreciative.

I just explain that sometimes I'm involved in emergency drills and real emergencies, and that we might be doing some troubleshooting if interference crops up. Most end up looking at the situation as cooperating with say an ambulance - that it's almost a civic duty.

I've even told them to watch me work outside, because some times my antenna work is hilarious to behold.

Anyhow, my advice is to make cordial relationships with your neighbors *before* you need to approach them about RFI issues. It's neighborly, and works a whole lot better than a lecture about who's responsible.

rant off.

all apologies if I've offended anyone.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -