[RFI] RFI and Smart meters

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Sat Jan 15 02:41:12 PST 2011

Here is some info on smart meters:

http://www.arrl.org/smart-meters

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06111
Tel: 860-594-0318
Email: W1RFI at arrl.org

________________________________

From: Michael Germino [mailto:ad6aa at sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Sun 1/9/2011 9:25 PM
To: rfi at contesting.com; Charles Coldwell
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI and Smart meters

--- On Fri, 1/7/11, Charles Coldwell <coldwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know what frequencies
> smart meters transmit on?  Are they
> yet another Part 15 device in the microwave ISM bands?

In California, for PG&E, I believe the Gas Meter is 450-470 MHz and the electric is 902-928 MHz.

I called and asked many questions.  I asked if there had been any interference problems with hams.  The gentleman on the phone said yes and it usually was a grounding problem and was always the Hams fault.  I didn't bother to correct him and I didn't tell him to not install the meters, but I think I am the only house in the neighborhood without a Smart Meter.

Mike
AD6AA