[RFI] HF DF Antenna recommendations

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jan 20 16:21:49 PST 2011

> Interestingly, no one commented about the loop antenna products I
> mentioned
> in my original post. Nor did anyone comment on the 80 Meter ARDF equipment
> that is popular in Europe or the U.S. Most of the input I received focused
> on products that are no longer in production.  I can only conclude that
> few
> subscribers to this list do much HF DFing of RFI. With all the new sources
> affecting the HF spectrum these days, many of which are mistaken for power
> line interference, I would think that good HF DFing tools are going to be
> much more in demand.

I have had good luck using my homebrew shielded loop for hunting
down RFI on the low bands.  The construction article from National
Contest Journal is at:

http://www.n6rk.com/loopantennas/NCJ_loop_antenna_N6RK.pdf

I have made smaller versions than the one shown in the photo
for finding RFI.  They are of course less sensitive but
are good enough for RFI hunting.

Rick N6RK