[RFI] CHECK your grounds.

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Thu Jan 27 05:15:57 PST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 1/26/2011 12:29 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
>> I have taken photos of our electrical "grounds".
>
> You need to study the fundamental principles of AC power distribution. A
> GROUND conductor does NOT carry load current -- it's sole function is
> SAFETY.

I've always thought that way too many things are called "ground".

I think that the main message that I take from Kurt's post is that when we see what he has seen, you can bet that there will be other problems. They need fixed.

I recommend homeowners who can safely look at their wiring do so. I don't care if it was a "qualified electrical technician" that did the install, or if it was inspected and approved. I suppose I''m OC, but when I bought my place, I replaced all the outlets. Not only got nice new tight outlets, but I got to look inside at the wiring. Found a few outlets that were not so good on the connections. A fire hazard and likely RF problem.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -