[RFI] Old RFI back and a new one help please

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 29 06:22:22 PST 2011

I had a similar experience just before leaving Santa Rosa CA.

Living on a mountainside ranch, Winter could get to 20 deg. F with sleet;
not exactly San Diego warm. The basement laundry room was unheated and
dark, so I put in an economical CFL so the on-premises landlord could leave
the light on and not go head over heels trying to reach the switch. One day
I turned on the radio and the bands were full of  crud:  I sniffed around
with a handheld receiver and loop and found the washroom bulb was failing
noisily. Ed Hare asked I send it in but was getting ready to move to MI and
missed doing that. FWIW I have  2 CFL's outside here in Michigan, which is
somewhat cooler even in the SW part than Santa Rosa CA, and neither has
failed or interfered. The only lamp RFI I have is from a SMPS track light
supply -- and the two Sylvania LED bulbs I no longer (heh) use.

Cortland
KA5S