[RFI] RFI from Electrolux Front Loading Dryer

Charles Lewis sv0lm at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 15:20:22 PDT 2011

We recently acquired a front loading Exectrolux washer and dryer pair.  The
dryer puts out strong RFI all the time.  The only way to quiet it is to
disconnect it from the power circuit.  The noise sounds like steady power line
noise and radiates strongly from the power wiring throughout the house.  The
noise extends into the VHF range.

I contacted Electrolux.  Their response was that they had never heard of that
problem.  They only suggested I try grounding the cabinet.  That is not
practical.  The laundry room is in an inner room of the basement and has PVC
pipes.  Any ground connection I could produce would be so long that it would be
ineffective for RFI.

The washer puts out a different kind of RFI.  It seems to come from the control
circuits and motor drives.  Unlike the noise from the dryer, this RFI is only
present when the machine is in use.  Also, its amplitude is much lower.

Suggestions?

Charles - KY4P