[RFI] RFI Report Re: IOTA DLS-45 w/IQ4 Charger-PS

doc at kd4e.com doc at kd4e.com
Mon Mar 21 17:13:54 PDT 2011

RFI Report Re: IOTA DLS-45 w/IQ4 Charger-PS

The unit arrived today and I made up a cable set and set it to
work charging a 105 AH @ 20hr rated deep-cycle battery.

I was hearing really strong radio frequency interference on the
AM broadcast band 20 feet from the IOTA.  The IOTA was sitting
on a table inside of a 20' steel shipping container and the
AM-BC receiver was in another room.

The AM-BC receiver was plugged into the AC outlet so I brought
my little RFI-chasing handheld AM-FM-SW battery-powered receiver
into the same location as the other receiver and no RFI.

I relocated the AC cord of the IOTA from the AC outlet to the
"Surge and Noise Protect Outlets" of a Tripp-Lite UPS and the
RFI that was clobbering the AC-powered AM-BC receiver via the
AC line went away.

So, just as a heads-up for those considering the IOTA - be
prepared to provide line-filtering on the AC side as apparently
the device is not well-filtered there.

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com