[RFI] FW: Topband: Exciting noise sources (Tim Duffy K3LR)

wd3c at aol.com wd3c at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 09:45:15 PDT 2011

I generally start with an Icom R10 receiver and a 1ft tunable loop that covers roughly 4-13 mhz, always relying  on the null
rather then the strongest signal for direction when ever possible. I then try to locate the noise
from several locations and plot on Google earth if need be, with 3-5 the locations around the noise
and a compass bearing it will generally give me an idea of where to look closer.

I'm also lucky enough to have a local electric utility that has one of every kind of Radar Engineering
device and is more the happy to loan them to me for a period of time, it's free labor for them and I
get to use top of the line equipment.

I've found by laying the loop on the floor of the truck (this may not work in a very noisy vehicle)
and using the Radar Engineering receiver I can usually get with in a pole or two of the problem.
I then use the loop to check several poles and then an Arrow Antenna 2/440 Yagi to get specific.
I may check further with an ultrasonic detector and then call the utility and give them the pole number.

It's always a good idea to be present at the pole or at least at home when the work is scheduled so they
will know when the noise goes away.

Frank, let us know how the National RF HFDF Vector Gun works out.