[RFI] FW: Topband: Exciting noise sources (Tim Duffy K3LR)

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 13:37:10 PDT 2011

I have used this technique, with the cheaper Icom IC-R10 handheld scanner.
I program into a memory bank ham frequencies for each bank, 160 though 1296
 MHz, AM detection.  With one knob I can then QSY between bands to find the
 highest frequency where the noise is present.

During warmer weather, after getting a beam heading from home, I head out
on my bicycle where I have a 2 meter 5/8 wave antenna with a clip on mount
to a  metal rack on the back of the bike. As noted, on 2 meters I can hear
most noises  within half a dozen poles, and on 432 within one or two poles.
The higher bands  (903/1296) have not been useful, at least with the antenna I
use.

I can also carry a 6L 432 yagi on the bike, that I can hook up (while
stopped) to aim at suspect poles. It can sometimes provide useful information by
 the cross polarization null in the noise. This is most often true when
there is  an angled wire running between sources.

When I have a particular pole located, I will drive back with my ultrasonic
 detector (W1TRC) to confirm the noise and try to get it down to a
particular  location on the pole.

Though like many of us hams, I have lost interest in having talking on a
VHF FM radio from the car, I do usually have one available, with just a 1/4
wave  2M mag mount. I try to keep it tuned to an open frequency with the AM
detector  enabled, while driving around close to my house. It can be a good
way to keep  track of known noise sources that come and go.

Unfortunately I fall into the group of people that have an unresponsive
power company.  The line noise guy is pleasant and I believe knowledgeable,
but getting work done is rare.  This is First Energy, which is the same
company that several years ago came within a quarter inch of stainless  steel of
having a nuke plant melt down in Port Clinton, Ohio. Not a  maintenance
kind of culture there.

73   -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 3/29/2011 4:14:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,