[RFI] Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"

Sam Morgan k5oai.sam at gmail.com
Tue May 3 09:08:05 PDT 2011

well.....

If I were a professional RFI chaser,
who's job it was to "just find it"
and
If I was knowledgeable enough to "just find it"
and
If I had all the proper equipment to "just find it"
and
If I was capable of being mobile enough to get out and "just find it"
then,
I might try to apply those words of wisdom and,
"just find it"

until then,
I thought I would have to satisfy myself,
by trying to document these quaint little noises,
with videos and sound files,
on the theory that....
if someone ever does go out and try to locate,
(I mean "just find it")
what 'may' be the source of my noise(s)
at least I maybe I will be able to id it,
and know for sure that was the 'it'
we were looking for.

I've already seen the local utility company
"just find it" so many times over the last 4 years,
and yet *"it"* was not my *"it"*

===
I guess I was also mislead by reading the advertisements
from Radar Engineers for their $5k plus 242 AM-UHF RFI Locator
http://www.radarengineers.com/rfitvi.htm#pole

When they make the following comments:
"The Model 242 is a state of the art power line
interference locator. It is continuously tunable
from 500 kHz to 1000 MHz and can store up
to six waveforms....."

"Spark gap noise characteristics can be
*OBSERVED* on the built-in LCD oscilloscope
display, seen on the signal strength meter, and
*HEARD* on the speaker. This unique combination
of features permits quick identification and
location of power line sparking that causes
ham radio, AM radio, BPL, and TV customer
complaints."
===

well never mind, I digress and
I certainly don't want to be bothering the list,
with any unprofessional babbling's now do I?

P.S.
I really do appreciate the comments though,
I now have a big sign above the desk that says:
"JUST FIND IT"
priceless

Thanks again guys.
;-)