[RFI] Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"

Sam Morgan k5oai.sam at gmail.com
Tue May 3 18:30:56 PDT 2011

replies dispersed through out this message

On 5/3/2011 7:27 PM, AE5B wrote:
 > Sam and others,
 >
 > What electrical company are you dealing with? I think you told me once but I
 > have forgotten. If it is AEP, they probably have the knowledge and equipment
 > but it is somewhere else in the system rather then in the San Angelo office.

AEP
Equipment perhaps, knowledge, no way.

Did/have they legitimately tried, absolutely,
over the last 3-4 years, many times.

Any successes?
They have fixed many insulators, even a transformer,
spent lots of maney, all of which,
using their RF Engineers MODEL M330
http://www.radarengineers.com/rfitvi.htm#pole
Mini RFI Locator operating at 320-340 MHZ
appeared to be viable noise sources in need of fixing!
(all within a 1/2 block of my apartment)

Unfortunately none were the noise source that causes my problem(s).

They are as frustrated as I am,
after spending 2 hours shutting down circuits near me
and a close substation and it's feeders
(distribution lines? not sure the proper term.)
They are at a loss, they have said they are clueless and can do no more.
Unless I can find it and point them at it!

below*

On 5/3/2011 7:27 PM, AE5B wrote:
 > Sam and others,
snip
 > My local utility has a RF-sniffing device installed in their one bucket truck.

I wish I could get AEP to actually raise a bucket truck up level with my
antennas on the apartment roof, use something at HF rather than VHF/UHF and then
look around in a 360 degree circle to see what they might find as a direction
for a starting point, rather than using their model M330 at ground level and
320-340 MHZ to look within a block area. Did finally get them to expand it to 2
blocks last time they tried. :-/

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan