[RFI] Traffic Light RFI; Also Diesel-powered Vehicles; Also Other RFI While On The Road

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Wed May 4 14:56:58 PDT 2011

Ron et al, I disagree with the last sentence regarding RFI due to traffic signals on 2m, at least within Arizona (Prescott [my home QTH], Phoenix, Flagstaff, Tucson, and many other AZ locations). My Kenwood TM-707G is "staticed-out" on any 2m freq within maybe 20'-30' from the control box. I presume it's a function of the manufacturer of the traffic control device rather than traffic lights in general. In any instance, I've found I need to turn off my mobile VHF/UHF rig while in town (I don't do HF from my vehicle; too distracting).

Related to same, I frequently experience brief static bursts on the road from diesel-powered vehicles (most often long DX 18-wheel truckers, bless them for maintaining our commerce), the RFI possibly being emitted from the fuel pump but also possibly from newer computerized engines. Distance is maybe only 10' to 20', usually while I'm beiong passed. The RFI is brief enough such that it usually doesn't interrupt a QSO.

My pet peeve is rural, generally unmaintained roadside transmission lines which leak RFI, often along long stretches (miles) which completely knock out broadcast AM (my Sirius is unaffected except by overhead bridges). I have contacted Arizona Power Supply/Service on this but APS has been completely unresponsive. And I'm not about to challenge the titanicPalo Verde Nuclear Power structure...

I don't think AZ has progressed to energy-saver LED traffic lights (let alone mandatory motorcycle helmets, recycling), where Stop signs are just a suggestion, use of turn signals seem to be illegal, and my vehicle insurance rates jumped 15% from my old NY QTH when I moved to AZ in 2004. AZ seems to be stuck in the 20th century.

Life will go on. Nevertheless, I am an active ARES/RACES member and I don't like the potential for RFI on any band during a potential nor realized EmCom event.

73 de Fred K2FRD/VO2FS
Prescott, AZ