[RFI] RFI on 20M

Doug Grant dougk1dg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:43:43 PDT 2011

I have a strange case here.

There's a broadband noise coming out of my neighbor's house that is fairly
constant across most of the 20M band, but drops precipitously at about
14265. It is s5-6 below that frequency, and down to s1 at 14270.

I have swept across the entire HF spectrum with a portable receiver and
loop at the neighbor's house (it is a vacation house, and they aren't there
much - I have not been inside), and there are no other significant noises.

And since they aren't there, it has to be something like maybe a wall wart
that radiates even when the equipment is off.

There is no cable TV service in the area, and whatever the source, the
noise is really loud at the power line entry. There is DSL in the area, but
none of the other houses (including mine) seem to have this noise.

So what can create a broadband crud that covers the whole 20M band, but
drops like a rock at 14265? Has anyone seen such a signature?

73,

Doug K1DG