[RFI] RFI to and from adjacent cell site

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Thu Sep 8 06:44:14 PDT 2011

"Birdies" that are sometimes reported on HF from these things are not a function of the cellular-telephone transmitter. They would be a function of the digital control circuitry and/or computers that are associated with the installation, or with the switch-mode power supplies that are associated with nearly everything nowadays.

Such spurii would not be atypical, especially considering that the cell tower would almost certainly be considered by FCC to be a commercial environment, so it is likely that Class A devices could be used.

It may be possible to control much of the noise, typically with common-mode chokes, although in some cases, if it is possible for a ham to simply tell them to remove the installation when the contract is up, or if the contract requires "no RFI," chokes may be more trouble to install than they are worth.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St