[RFI] RFI issues in electric (or hybrid) vehicles

Dennis R Baumgarte ae2ee at rochester.rr.com
Wed Apr 11 12:00:58 PDT 2012

On 04/10/2012 23:42, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
> : This is rubbish.  Measurements I have made at HF show an 8-10dB increase
> : in signal every time the distance is halved for ground wave.  Do the
> : math!  I have a neighbor with a 2010 Prius and I have followed him
> : within a couple of car lengths around town with my mobile setup and hear
> : NO noise that I can attribute to his Prius.  There might be some noise
> : within the vehicle but no way is anyone hearing it a quarter mile away.
>
> Well, whoopity-doo for you.  In the meantime, I've heard them at great
> distances over several years and can tell when they are coming, even when I
> can't see them, for example on another road, behind buildings, mixed within
> other traffic, et cetera.  Maybe not ALL of them, but all that I've heard
> can be seen coming down the road with increasing signal strength, total
> elimination of my HF reception within a couple of hundred feet or so, then
> decreasing signal strength as they head down the road away from me.  It's
> pretty obvious out here in the rural areas when a Prius is the ONLY car
> visible within a valley and passing me on the only road within many tens of
> square miles.
>
> As you suggested, I did the math.  Based on where I was and where the last
> Prius I heard was when I first heard it, it came out to closer to 1,800',
> MORE than a quarter mile.  I'm guessing it WASN'T you neighbour...  In the
> meantime I turn down the volume when I hear them coming.
>
> Kurt

  I have a 2010 Prius and have had my Ft-857D in the Car for over a year
and had no problem on the HF bands. I did have some RF at 6 Meters but
very little and it did not stop me from using the band. As with any car
each will have its quirks and problems. But also bounding my system was
paramount so I bought the service manuals,cost $200, and ran my own
ground system
for my radio and antennas. That is what I would recommend for any ham to
do when installing any radio system.

Dennis AE2EE