[RFI] MFJ-856

Patrick Dyer pjdyer at swbell.net
Sun Apr 22 10:01:57 PDT 2012

Is this MFJ-856 worth a second glance for DFing RFI ?

For that part of the spectrum I'm currently (since 2003) using the R,
DE, D1, and D2 of an 11-el 144-MHz Cushcraft with an Icom IC-A4 (108-137
MHz airband xcvr).  The 7-MHz difference seems to have minimal skew to
the pattern (using an old Precision E-200-C signal generator as a test
source in the yard).

However, the MFJ-856 has a signal-strength meter, and the 3-el antenna
boom length (with the rcvr on it) may be easier to manage/handle than
what I've been using for nearly a decade.

Before I got the IC-A4 (originally to track the MUF of Es events above
the FM broadcast band using the VOR/ILS navaids) I had been using a
rather decrepit (1971) Radio Shack JetStream mini (slightly retuned to
144 MHz) for RFI chasing.

73, Pat - WA5IYX