[RFI] 1999 Ford Diesel Pickup.jRFI Issues.

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 27 09:31:19 PDT 2012

On 4/27/2012 8:17 AM, ukbrown at aol.com wrote:
> I recently installed a IC 706G into my pick up with a heavy line from the one of the 12vt batteries to the rig. Now when I transmit especially on 40mtrs the engine starts to cut out even a higher RPM.

I had comparable problems with a Toyota SUV -- my RF on 20M at 100W was
getting into the computer that controlled the engine. I never took the
time to fix it, simply because it would be a LOT of work to clean up
body bonding, and mobiling is less important to me than adding to my
antenna farm at home. :)  .

BUT, some suggestions.

1) Are you running one conductor or two to the battery?  It SHOULD be two.

2) Have you tried serious ferrite chokes on that cable?  For 80 and 40M,
the choke should be  8-10 turns of the pair around #31 cores.

3) Have you tried a comparable choke at the base of the antenna?

4) I strongly concur with comments about bonding parts of the body
together.  The bonding on my Toyota is more or less non-existent.

5) I've heard for many years about the benefits of bonding the exhaust
system at both ends to minimize transmission of noise from the engine
compartment.

73, Jim K9YC