[RFI] Samsung refrigerator RFI

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 19:31:38 PDT 2012

Hi Mel,

Do you hear it on the AM broadcast band?  The FCC takes a dim view of
devices that interfere with AM broadcast transmissions.  Even better
would be if it interfered with aircraft communications.....

On 8/8/2012 6:53 PM, Tom Thompson wrote:
> I would, at the very least, file a report with the FCC.  This device is
> most likely not compliant with the conducted emissions requirements.
> Fixing these devices one at a time is getting really old.  In my
> neighborhood alone I have dealt with 5 grow lights, 3 halogen lights,
> and one surveillance camera.  All have been Chinese imports.
>
> Tom   W0IVJ
>

> On 8/8/2012 3:13 PM, Mel Crichton wrote:
>> My wife was so proud of herself when she bought a new Samsung side by side
>> refrigerator with energy saving compressor. Yes, it runs quiet and doesn't
>> use much juice, but the compressor drive has a 5 KHz supply, and as luck
>> would have it, it wipes out all the HF bands every 5 KHz. To make matters
>> worse, beside the 5 KHz birdie there's serious hash between the birdies. If
>> I want to operate, I kill the breaker to the refrigerator. This isn't doing
>> the fridge any good. I threatened to return the fridge but she threatened
>> other things. I may find a way to make it self-destruct.
>>
>> I called Samsung  USA and they kept me on the phone for a half hour looking
>> for any tech support inside Samsung USA who might know of a fix. (My guess
>> is, inadequate shielding and probably a square wave generator). No dice....
>> they are not aware of this problem.
>>
>> Any help out there? The warranty isn't expired yet, but I will be removing
>> screws in the next few days. I may get lucky with some simple shielding
>> (Already wrapped the AC cord in ferrites)
>>
>> In the meantime, BEWARE of Samsung energy saving refrigerators. If you are
>> considering any top-end refrigerator, take a portable radio  with you to the
>> appliance store and make them turn the unit on to full cooling.
>>
>> Mel KJ9C

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com