[RFI] Dell D505 PA-10 PS

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Aug 12 15:19:29 PDT 2012

On 8/12/2012 10:49 AM, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
> That Acer laptop uses an old AMD CPU that only runs at about 1.6GHz.  That
> is fairly slow compared to the newer Intel i7 CPUs.
>
> You should be able to cure the PS RFI with some ferrite cores.  Look in Jim
> Brown's tutorial.
>
> ----------------- Wes Attaway (N5WA) -------------------
> 1138 Waters Edge Circle, Shreveport, LA 71106
>      318-797-4972 (Office) - 318-393-3289 (Cell)
>          Computer Consulting and Forensics
> -------------- EnCase Certified Examiner ---------------

1 Gig is far more than enough speed to run XP and 3 Gig of RAM is all a
32 bit system can use.  The problem is usually all the *stuff* they run
in the background and particularly the packaged software that comes
installed on these brand name computers. Often, if you open Task Manager
and look at processes you will find 50 to over 100 running. Applications
usually shows only the major applications you are running.  You can't
just go in and eliminate these without knowing what they do.

There are software packages that will let you get rid of all the
unneeded *stuff* they install. The results are like a new computer, or
replacing the old clunker with a new hot rod.

I do not like laptops for this kind of use.  They work, but it's like
trying to run a horse with hobbles on it.  They are not designed for
running hours on end such as contests although some get away with it.
CS is my profession, where I have my degree, and I don't even own a
laptop.  I have no need for a portable system where they are great, but
I do have a need for all the performance and storage I can squeeze in
and that pretty much eliminates the laptop from the running. That and
their "wall wart" battery chargers/RFI generators.

Regular CPUs do what is called "Time slicing". IOW when given multiple
tasks, they can only do one thing at a time, so they divide the
available time between applications. That is between the ones you are
running and the ones the computer is running that you may not know
about.  When you run two applications the computer divides its time
between the two, effectively running each one at half speed. It's a bit
more complicated than that for background processes. Hence a very good
reason for getting rid of all unnecessary background processes.  It's
another good reason for running multi core processors.

Another problem is the size of the applications and data they use. If
the computer is loaded up with unneeded applications it likely will not
have enough room so it will have to "swap" files between RAM and the
hard drive. This is almost the ultimate in slow down

I run multi core, AMDs in full size, steel tower cases typically 24 X 7.
  Laptops they are not at 40 to 60#. It really doesn't matter if they
are AMD or Intel based systems. You and typical programs normally won't
be able to tell the difference while AMD processors are much less
expensive. The smallest PS is 600 watts and the largest is a KW.  Most
of the video cards run around 300 watts.  I have run 64 bit systems
since XP came out. I tried two copies of Vista and went back to XP Pro.
  I now use Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and FEDORA LINUX in dual boot. Win 7
64 bit, will run most 32 bit applications. It will also emulate XP.  The
computers are networked with CAT5 and CAT6.  Absolutely no RFI on any
band 1.8 through 440. OTOH I can hear a neighbor's router two houses
over.  Fortunately it's not loud.

BTW XP is still my favorite Windows system.
I'm sure with Jim's tutorial you'll be able to quiet it down unless it's
a really bad wall wart.  If worse comes to worse you might try a
different brand of PS/charger

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)