[RFI] Oh, happy daze!!

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 5 20:59:17 EST 2012

On 12/5/2012 5:40 PM, Missouri Guy wrote:
> I was thinking that the inductance might take the "edge" off the voltage spike generated by the fence charger.

Absolutely!  And don't forget about the resistive component. Most
suppression chokes work by forming a low Q (typically about 0.4)
parallel resonant circuit with a resonance in the range where
suppression is needed.  Near resonance the impedance is primarily
resistive.  From a couple of octaves below resonance down to DC it looks
mostly inductive, and as you get low enough the inductive reactance goes
to zero.

I don't know how these fencers work, but I'd start by using something
like 16-20 turns around a #31 toroid, and if the fencer works, stop
there.  If it doesn't, pull off turns until it does.

73, Jim K9YC