[RFI] Telephones and DSL

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sun Dec 9 19:42:35 EST 2012

> Question about DSL. Can too much ferrite kill the DSL signal or
> mess up the SNR? Is the DSL signal affected by say a 160 tuned
> circuit/trap or is it a DC thing and not RF? I'm looking to cure
> 1 KW modem problems, right now I don't lose link but I can lose a
> page and have to refresh.

I don't have specific answers, but will add a comment. 160 meter RF
would cause my DSL modem to drop connection with as little as 50
watts, every time I hit the key. Common mode chokes didn't help at
all. But the filter described here cured the problem 99.9% of the time:

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2007-10/msg00171.html

As for the other 0.1%, I have no idea. Occasionally when it is
raining I still have problems. My SWR does not change at all in the
rain, so I'm not sure exactly what the mechanism is. What's perhaps
more bizarre is that it is not a consistent thing. It's actually
quite rare, even during rain.

Paul N1BUG