[RFI] Amtrak electric noise

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Mon Dec 10 16:07:55 EST 2012

Peter,

I'm about 10 linear miles from RI so that would make it Amtraks
ownership. Though our family has been at this location 40+ years, I
was gone for many of them for college out of state & then work in the
Midwest. I came back in 04 and noticed the low band QRM was
noticeable
& spent my time on the upper bands. It was when I started an interest
in 160M I noticed the problem & up till then had written the QRM off
to lightning crashes somewhere far away.

There was an issue 4 years ago with QRM from faulty lighting
electronics in the street lights which the local company immediately
came out and fixed.

Three years ago I put up several beverages to help reduce the QRM on
160M Rx and by default those beverages needed to be close to the
track
and seemed to amplify the "QRN" so to get a more quiet Rx I went with
different directional arrays but the problem persisted.

As to any big wind storms lately; other than the hurricanes, not
particularly but the problem was there before Irene and has persisted
through Sandy. Walking with the radio along Amtrak I heard exactly
what has been bothering me. I can't get underneath offending areas to
have a look see from all directions as this section of the track has
hurricane fence barrier on both sides. The intensity of QRM beside
the
track was impressive and seeing as my antennae are within 100' of the
track, this is a problem. While the trains were diesel there were
never issues as there are now and being localized to alongside the
track, it seems apparent the issue is with the overhead lines. This
used to be dead quiet electrical QRM-wise and now I can hear hash
from
electrical devices but nothing like this power line experience.

T'is joyful...

Gary
KA1J