[RFI] Compuer lockup

Ken Eigsti diverken at chaffee.net
Sun Feb 19 07:40:05 PST 2012

Hi
I know it would be as crap shoot to diagnose rfi in computers, but maybe I
could increase the odds of a fix by seeking some help on this reflector.

I run Writelog networked with Ethernet cables through a router. I am on a
2nd story and have a good copper ground buss typing all equipment together,
even rotor control boxes, and the ground to an outside ground rod. (Soil in
Colorado has poor quality i.e. rocks and crushed granite)

Problem:
I run a modest M/S station with a Dell desktop and Dell D610 laptop, both
with XP. When the power seems to exceed 400 to 500 watts, there is a
tendency for the laptop and occasionally the desktop to "lockup" where you
have to manually turn off the transmitter.(Eventually reset/reboot the
computer) I am dealing with antennas relatively close to the shack which I
cannot do anything about, and have been placing toroids on cables, however
the question is, where would toroids be most effective? Are any particular
inputs/outputs/cables (to or from computers) more susceptible? Has anyone
had experience with rf locking up a computer and the fix????

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Ken W0LSD