[RFI] Smart meters

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Sun Jan 15 10:56:44 PST 2012

Hi Guys,

Up here in THE LAND OF NO---a.k.a. Ontario, Canada---EVERYONE has been converted (FORCED) over to the so-called "smart" meter by the provincial power authority...

The reason...? The government has instituted a "...a pay scale" based upon time of use: if you use electricity during so-called "prime time" (7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, I believe) your rates per kilowatt hour are higher---similarly, if you use electricity during off-peak hours, your rates are lower.

This applies during weekdays only, too, BTW.

It's all for the sake of "conservation" the authorities tell us, but it's more like a cash grab. Watch YOUR utility company do the same thing to you in the very near future...

On a different note, before these devices were installed here, I wrote a long, scathing letter to the power authority here stating that I was a licensed Amateur radio operator, & that I neither expected to interfere with the devices, nor receive any RFI in kind, with their installation. The respondent was very sympathetic, and assured me repeatedly that there would be no RFI issues whatsoever...

And in truth, there haven't been any---but I am rather weary of running the dish washer at 5:00 AM, & saving-up all the laundry for the weekend! Hi Hi

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ