[RFI] Smart meters

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Mon Jan 16 10:34:22 PST 2012

I believe many U.S. utilities have tried similar power load control programs over the years.  In the 1980s our local utility conducted a trial project using a licensed VHF freq for the comm link to control air conditioners and water heaters in one hour ON-OFF increments.  The project failed to become popular with customers because a house could warm up pretty fast in one hour on a really hot day.

This spring they will try it again for 15 minute increments only on the outdoor AC units thus allowing the inside fans to continue operating even during the 15 minute OFF increments.  Not sure what comm link they plan to use (perhaps cellular?), but it won't be that same 1980s VHF channel since I now have an 11-site simulcast paging system operating there.

73, de ed -K0iL