[RFI] Smart meters

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Tue Jan 17 07:51:23 PST 2012

On 2012-01-17, at 10:02 AM, David C. Hallam wrote:

> What I don't understand is why electric utilities can charge me to build
> a nuclear power plant long before they start construction.

Hi David,

I really & truly wonder what the good people of your State might have to say if your power authority did what ours here did (and continues to do)...?

Specifically, the province of Ontario brought in smart meters with the express aim of incorporating new time-of-use fees based upon peak hours, vs. "off" hours---in other words, under the premise of energy conservation.

The result here...?

In these tough economic times many people are struggling to do their laundry & dishes during "off peak" hours to save themselves some $$$---yet, despite their efforts, monthly bills have gone up anyway.

And what does our provincial authority do to aid & abet this nobel movement toward conservation...? They actually PAID millions of tax payer dollars to the power authorities in New York State & the province of Quebec to take---FREE OF CHARGE!!!---Ontario's surplus electricity!

That's our reward, on a personal level, for making sacrifices...

But that's not all: the government here now wants to embrace wind turbine technology in a big way: and what does that mean to us lowly, beleaguered tax payers...? Just this: the kilowatt hour cost of wind generated power will be some EIGHT TIMES what it presently costs, there have been no meaningful environmental impact studies conducted here as to the effects upon those living nearby, and the contract for the multi-millions of dollars (if not billions) required to purchase this stuff is to be awarded to---TA DA!!!---an Asian manufacturer.

As Forrest Gump said so eloquently, "Stupid is as stupid does."

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ