[RFI] Single-point grounding

Dale Svetanoff svetanoff at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 1 19:06:58 PDT 2012

Roger,

Just a few remarks:

1.  YES, all I/O cables between the house and outside world need to pass
thru a common grounding panel.  The fact that I have 2 such panels, at
opposite ends of the house, does not seem to be an issue with respect to
lightning.  I think that is because both panels are securely bonded to that
perimeter ground wire system.  The point here is that no I/O cable should
be unprotected.

2.  Since you have a large, distributed system, have you considered using
either isolation transformers/baluns between parts of the house or other
buildings?  An alternative would be to go wireless with wi-fi.  Either
method would get around the long conductive path issue.  I think the wi-fi
would be a better way to go, as baluns or transformers could arc over
internally.

3.  I totally agree with your last paragraph.  You can be assured that
"ground" will not stay at 0 volts during a lightning strike.  It will
bounce, a lot, and what matters is that everything must bounce together.
Remember, if there is just 1 ohm of resistance/impedance in the strike
path, and allowing for the strike currents to divide into 2 or more paths,
even a modest 20,000 amp flow in some part of the ground system will put
that ground at 20,000 volts above and below 0 volts reference.  (Lightning
strike current follows a decaying sine waveform once it is coupled onto
conductors.)

I had the privilege of working alongside one of the aerospace industry's
top lightning experts when I was at Rockwell Collins.  I showed him the
damaged antennas and cables from my tower after the big blast I took in
2008, and his estimate was that my system had taken a heavier than average
hit - probably 40 to 60 kA.  A "normal" strike is 20 to 40 kA, and
super-cell blasts can exceeed 100 kA.

73, Dale
WA9ENA