[RFI] Receiver settings for hearing RFI?

Sam Morgan k5oai.sam at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 05:42:15 PDT 2012

On 3/11/2012 7:26 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
> It goes much faster if you can
> see the entire band on a panadapter.  Since the display is RF-sampled, noise
> is identified regardless of receive mode.  I use an SDR-IQ receiver,
> notebook PC, and tunable loop antenna.  The netbook's battery is the power
> source for the SDR-IQ and active loop antenna.

If you are fortunate enough to own an Elecraft P3
they can be used for this and are tunable to display
any 200khz from 455 kHz up to 21.7 MHz
power requirements are 10 to 15 VDC, 0.5 A maximum

no external computer required
just a sw radio to hear the noise and identify the frequency
then set the P3 for that frequency and listen on your loop
and you will see the offending signal
as you get closer the variable gain will attenuate the signals
etc etc

--
GB & 73
K5OAI