[RFI] 6 Minutes - a record?

Dale Svetanoff svetanoff at earthlink.net
Mon May 21 21:02:52 PDT 2012

Jerry,

All's well that ends well.  While I am not surprised about the touch lamp
being the eventual "guilty party", I am a little amazed that it had
previously been RF quiet.  Those things can be notorious.

Since you say that the MinkaAire does have remote speed control, that info
tells me it has some sort of solid state circuitry (probably SCRs or
triacs) to achieve such a task.  As long as the unit does not cause you
RFI, then it would appear that the manufacturer has applied filtering
within the unit.

Thank you for sharing the info with the list.  This is how we can all learn
from each other.

Final note:  My five fans all have old-fashioned pull chain speed controls
(pole switching within the motor).  My house was built in 2000 and the
electrician installed electronic speed controls in the wall switches for
each fan.  These are either Lutron or Pass & Seymore, and no RFI from any
of them.  Thus, I leave the pull chain switch on each fan set for maximum
speed and then set the wall switch slider pot to the speed I actually want.
So far, so good.

73, Dale
WA9ENA