[RFI] rfi problem

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 1 17:40:47 EDT 2012

Some years ago, AT&T Cable installed carrier current modems on its boxes
to handle dialup for billing. These operated on 3.52 MHz, which quickly
came to the notice of the Northern California DX Asssociation and then
the ARRL.

I was one Sunday tracking these down in Petaluma, CA when I saw a
strange activity.  As I drove my antenna and loop festooned mobile
along,  people were running out of their houses into back yards. One
might be a barbecue in need of care, another a dog got loose, but in
time I realized they had been stealing cable service to watch the
football game; someone had seen me approaching dwellings with a handheld
loop and receiver and, thinking I was from the Cable company, phoned
ahead to remove illegal cable connections before they could be discovered.

That was a fine reward for my efforts. Ha!

WRT to 145.23, when I was in MA in the 1980's, the Boston Marathon used
the Red Cross repeater for its comms, and had trouble every year with
leakage of the audio carrier there. Nowadays, things may be worse;
digital TV signals almost fill each channel.

Cortland
KA5S