[RFI] rfi problem

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Nov 1 18:38:57 EDT 2012

On 11/1/2012 1:55 PM, Patrick Dyer wrote:
> This Sep 1983 CATV egress (Ch 4, zero-beat local off) was due to an
> east-adjacent illegal tap (the days before Texas had enacted
> theft-of-service statutes) http://www.qsl.net/w/wa5iyx//images/833311.jpg
> The responding tech simply changed the 4-port terminal at the backyard
> pedestal (service, underground, had only come to this area of town in
> 1981) to a 3-port.  The perp/renters were evicted a month later - likely
> for other reasons.
>
> Most other serious CATV egress incidents around here have been due to
> the classic "dog chewed cable" scenario (their work tickets actually
> list that as an option!).

And justifiably so.
They need one for cat chewed the cable as well.
I have the house wired for cable  as well as CAT6.

Our phone quit working.  We'd had many problems before with the system
going down after a rain storm. I didn't find anything so they sent out a
service tech.  He showed a short in the house. Service call, problem on
my end, $50.  So, I started looking again. This time I did find a
short...so, I hunted and hunted. Then I remembered a dead end run to my
den that was no longer used. There, back behind the one desk was a cable
with IIRC 4 pair.  The cat had chewed the insulation off and ended up
twisting the bare wires together.  I couldn't have done a neater job if
I tried.

73

Roger (K8RI)