[RFI] just what everyone needs!

Christopher Brown cbrown at woods.net
Mon Sep 10 03:25:34 EDT 2012

It is similar, though I have never seen specifics on what they use
material wise.

First time I saw it, it was refered to as "percap" or something similar.

It is just normal wire/cable with RF lossy insulation.

Not really that useful HAM wise as

It is $$$, speciality item and making RF lossy insulation that still
meets all the requires specs is not easy).

The loss per foot is pretty low until you get above VHF.

I have seen it used as power and low rate/analog signal hookup wire in
some cellular and microwave gear, as well as general purpose hookup wire
in large (build in place multi-rack) systems in high RF environments.

As I recall, loss was < 1db per 100ft above normal wire around HF, ~
10db per 100ft by 2m, and getting into the 5 - 10db per foot range by 2GHz.

I priced some 10ga once, ~ $10/ft in lots of 1000ft or less.