[RFI] just what everyone needs!

Dale Svetanoff svetanoff at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 11:07:06 EDT 2012

Christopher, Dave, and All,

First, my thanks to David, K1TTT, for posting the "docassist"  URL.  That
is very interesting, and I have downloaded not only the spec under
discussion, but several others in which I have an interest.  That web site
did not exist pre-2000 (I don't think), when we had to get mil docs from a
web site based in Philadelphia.  It was not all that well organized.

The most important data from the document is the table (and accompanying
plot) of attenuation per foot versus frequency.  Absorption losses are, in
fact, very low below 500 MHz, and rising to about 30 dB/foot at 1 GHz and
then to 18 GHz.  When combined with a shielded over braid, this would make
for a cable with very low radiated emissions in the UHF and microwave
region.  It should also be noted that this spec was cancelled in 2008.

The summary of all this is that even if you find a supplier for this wire,
without being made into a shielded cable, it will not do you a lot of good
unless UHF and microwave emissions are a problem for you.  (Yes, the
military has some tough radiated emissions specs for equipment, that
includes systems, so having a wire/cable that suppresses these emissions
had to be a help in meeting these specs.)  It won't help you on HF and VHF.

On a related note, back in the 1990s, I was Chair of an IEEE standards
writing working group making major revisions to IEEE Std-299, which deals
with measuring the RF shielding effectiveness of shielded enclosures.  Some
of the working group members noted that coax cable with ferrite-loaded
jacket was a (then) new item available from at least one manufacturer, in
Europe, I believe.  We ran some actual tests using ferrite loaded coax (in
the outer jacket) to see if the ferrites affected readings being taken when
making measurements (the coax was being used to carry signal from a sense
antenna to a spectrum analyzer or EMI receiver).  Yes, it did, so we had to
specify use of cable that had continuous (or multiple load areas) on the
coax, as opposed to single point loading, because the ferrites caused
either suck-outs or reflections (depending upon frequency) when used within
an enclosure being measured.  Continuous jacket loading minimized these
effects.  Note that loaded jacket coax does not affect the signal within
the cable itself.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

http://assistdocs.com/search/document_details.cfm?ident_number=34825&StartRo