[RFI] just what everyone needs!

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 23:50:43 EDT 2012

Andy,

The way I unravel this is to ask how a ferrite BEAD works. It
concentrates magnetic fields along a wire -- adding inductance --and in
a lossy medium too, where the changing field is partly transformed into
heat.  This works even on a single wire.

Now imagine the ferrite has very low cross section, but extends along
the wire for some considerable distance.  It will still work, but the
volume of ferrite per unit length will be much less, and it will
concentrate the field in each unit length much less (= lower inductance)
as well. Given inductive reactance rises with frequency, the higher
frequencies will be where a thin covering of ferrite material is more
effective.

Will it filter in a coax? Maybe -- if permeability,  loss and thickness
are right, skin effect isolates the center and and outer parts of the
ferrite from each other, so they act like separate DM chokes. Otherwise
the fields from shield and center conductor will pass through ferrite
(with some loss) and cancel (or partly cancel) like a CM choke on a
differential pair. Nothing is 100 percent and the change occurs at what,
6 dB/octave?

On a ferrite covered single wire in an RF field... If the skin depth is
small enough, fields won't much penetrate the ferrite, some being
dissipated, some flowing lengthwise (being dissipated)  and the rest
will be reflected -- shielding the wire without being a return circuit.

Oversimplified, perhaps, but it's just a 1st approximation.  And it's
2348 EDT!

Cortland Richmond
KA5S