[RFI] Observations of a low RFI Plasma TV and a very bad RFI plasma - same QTH

Kirby Hallenbeck 1sailorman at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 14:52:57 EDT 2012

Since so much has been posted about how Plasma TV's are bad RFI generators,
the following post may be interesting to those who prefer the picture
quality of plasma and require low RFI.  Jim K9YC requested I repost it here,
from the Elecraft reflector.  Jim's comments are followed by the original
post. I will also note that another owner of the same set wrote me off list
to say he had the same low RFI experience. So perhaps the all plasmas are
bad is not true, and really comes down to how the sets are engineered. I
will also note I took apart the Samsung ( to harvest boards for resale)  Jim
refers to below and found there is a lot of long between board interconnect,
that could radiate, so Jim's theory has much merit IMO. I did have overkill
chokes and turns on every cable in and out of the bad TV  BTW.

On 9/10/2012 8:12 PM, Kirby Hallenbeck wrote:

> I will also note that both sets were treated with the large ferrite cores

> K9YC did the group buy on a while back and I haven't done a before after

> cores on the Panasonic, as I just put them on when I installed it.  I did
do

> a before after on the Samsung and although it helped the Samsung was so
bad

> that I couldn't totally suppress it.

Kirby -- PLEASE post your excellent and detailed observations on the RFI

reflector.

One observation about the result of your application of chokes. I'm

thinking particularly of the Samsung box, but the concept applies to ALL

equipment.  Chokes on cables leaving a noise source, or entering a

victim, kill the part of the RFI that is conducted out of the set on

those cables and RADIATED by those cables acting as antennas. Chokes

cannot do anything about the trash that is radiated by WIRING INSIDE THE

BOX. So -- the trash you heard after you applied the chokes, assuming

that the chokes were ENOUGH to kill current those external wires, the

remaining trash was from inside the box, and you'll never kill it

without a major science project inside the box.

Original post on Elecraft Relflector

Message: 7