[RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Wed Sep 12 22:08:57 EDT 2012

Hi Tony,

If I may, I'd like to suggest that what you need to do is track down the
source of the noise rather than trying to speculate on what it is.  The
actual source of the noise may end up being from something that you
never suspected.

I know....it's not the easiest thing to do and will require some
portable receiving equipment but this may end up saving a lot of time in
the long run.  Perhaps someone in one of your local clubs has some
experience or equipment you can use.

On 9/12/2012 12:13 AM, Tony wrote:
> All:
>
> The noise that appeared this evening at 7:00pm may have something to
> do with AC power coming into the house. I noticed that the noise
> changed when I turned the shack light on and off. This video shows
> what happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYHbpLfQ1gc
>
> There are no florescent lights or touch lamps in the house. Unplugging
> the shack light does not make the noise go away. Turning the shack's
> light switch on or off with the light unplugged does not change the
> noise. The noise persists with power supplies, computers and TV's
> turned off or unplugged.
>
> I'll investigate further and report back tomorrow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony -K2MO

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org