[RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Fri Sep 14 16:31:00 EDT 2012

On 9/13/2012 11:52 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 9/13/2012 5:19 PM, Tony wrote:
>> Assuming it is a house wiring problem and not an appliance, what
>> would cause it to come on in the evening and stay on till morning?
>> Would temperature and humidity cause this?
>
> I suspect a combination of things -- a wiring problem that is making
> the noise source radiate (or conduct) more effectively. The thing that
> makes me suspect house wiring is that you said you switch a light and
> the noise changes.  THAT'S why I said you should check your wiring
> very carefully, and all of us should anyway. The law of averages says
> that whoever did your house wiring made at least one mistake.  Some
> mistakes are a nuisance, some are very dangerous.

Good advice Jim. I checked the switch and the socket today and they
appear to be wired correctly. Wiring is also in good condition. I shook
the outlet and switch to see if noise changed, but nothing happened.

> The only lights that could GENERATE noise are fluorescents or those
> that have a DC power supply.  It's become quite common for most track
> lighting to use a DC power supply, and they are virtually all
> switching power supplies. 73, Jim K9YC

Understand. In this case it's a simple incandescent bulb. I'll have the
12 volt battery in hand this weekend so I can run the rig with the mains
turned off.

Tony -K2MO