[RFI] AM Radio Interference On 75 meters

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 14:10:20 EDT 2012

Joe,

It's not a multiple of the distant broadcaster.. Note what Dave said
about mixing. Here are Reno AM stations
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_radio_stations_in_Nevada:

KHIT <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHIT> 	1450 AM 	Reno 	Lotus Radio
Corp. 	Sports
KIHM <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIHM> 	920 AM 	Reno 	IHR Educational
Broadcasting 	Religious
KJFK <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJFK> 	1230 AM 	Reno 	Americom Las
Vegas Limited Partnership 	Talk/Personality
KKOH <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKOH> 	780 AM 	Reno 	Radio License
Holding CBC, LLC 	News Talk Information

KPLY <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPLY> 	630 AM 	Reno 	Lotus Radio
Corp. 	Sports

KXEQ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KXEQ> 	1340 AM 	Reno 	Azteca
Broadcasting Corporation 	Regional Mexican
KXTO <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KXTO> 	1550 AM 	Reno 	First
Broadcasting of Nevada, Inc. 	Latin Contemporary

blanks are deleted FM stations

I'll assume your victim is near a local AM transmitter. Try an AMBC
highpass filter in front of the victim radio,
as both harmonics generated in the RF stage or mixer AND mixing products
of combinations of local high power
stations in a rigs' mixer can quite easily beat with a normally strong
though more distant station with effects you describe.

If it doesn't help, you may be seeing IM generated at the local
transmitter site (there may be collocated antennas or even a shared
antenna) mixing with the Sacramento station.

Also, see if you can make out modulation that correspons with signals
you hear from your local stations.

I don't have an IM calculator on the computer, and one I found doesn't
seem to like my display,  but poke around
on the net and you may find one.

Oh, and cut power to any cable or other broadband. In fact... turn off
ANYTHING that might be generating a carrier locally. Especially if it's
on a timer.  You might be surprised what dwells in, well, dwellings.

Good luck,

Cortland
KA5S