[RFI] ISOBAR

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Sep 19 06:43:16 EDT 2012

Hi Dale - Yes, I do disconnect at the point of entry to the shack, and
no, there was no evidence of scorching on the roof.

I was in the shack when the hit occurred, and it was very loud and
seemingly close - I'm not sure but suspect that some share of the strike
current arced across the bulkhead connectors on my panel, something I
have seen before with nearby strikes.  However, nothing was visibly
damaged.

Everything active on the tower - two rotators, an antenna relay box, and
a Stackmatch - was damaged, though not vaporized.  I suppose this means
that the tower's grounding took much of the energy.  I thought at the
time that the hit was on my F12 40m yagi, because one of its loading
wires was broken, but it could have been on the mast a couple of feet
above it.  I bet it gave the long-time-resident wasps in the mast a
headache!

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000