[RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off- NOISE FOUND!!!!!

Roger D Johnson n1rj at roadrunner.com
Sat Sep 22 19:23:02 EDT 2012

Are the porch lights photocell controlled? My neighbor had a controlled lamp at the
end of his driveway. He replaced the incandescent bulb with a CFL. Horrible noise!
I found that some of the older controllers will not work properly with CFLs.

73, Roger

On 9/22/2012 4:34 AM, Tony wrote:
> All:
>
> I ventured out at 4AM this morning and found the noise! It turned out to be my
> neighbors CFL porch light. There are two lights on the porch and the one
> that's not working is the one making the noise. The working CFL isn't exactly
> quiet, but it's nowhere near as loud as the non-working light.
>
> I used a battery powered HF rig with a make-shift coax antenna; just the
> center conductor with the shield stripped away. I made sure I checked the
> noise at the house before I left and used the same frequency on the portable.
> That made the noise easy to identify once heard.
>
> I also shut the mains on the house and kept them off just to make sure it
> wasn't coming from my home. The noise was still there with the mains off. The
> puzzling thing is the light switch issue....
>
> The noise being generated by my neighbors CFL shifts in frequency (by several
> kHz) when I turn off the light switch in MY shack! It will be interesting to
> see what happens when he replaces his bad CFL.
>
> So are there any quiet CFL's on the market? Lowes have them?
>
> Thank for all.
>
> Tony -K2MO

Remember the Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://www.usslibertyveterans.org/