[RFI] Nineteen Hour Noise

Ron, K6KYJ k6kyj at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 02:08:54 EDT 2013

Here is an update on my situation.

I have not monitored the noise for about the past five days as I am packing up my gear to take it all on the road where there is no RFI. Today, I turned on the benchmark receiver and the noise on 6995 kHz was down to bouncing between S3 and S4. Previously, it was steady at S9+10 or more.

I have not yet checked to see if the interval on the timer is the same as reported in earlier posts.  I did confirm that there are still down times where the grow light system is completely off.

My speculation is that either the demand from the power supply has been reduced or that if the system is using multiple power supplies, one has been shut down.

An interesting bit of background was that the suspect two-story home was unused each night initially; a tender came by each afternoon for about two hours and then left. Now, someone is living in the house 24/7.

Our county recently exacted an ordinance banning outdoor grows in urban areas like mine.  'Those in the know' tell me that almost immediately, the big growers went indoors and the local supplier of grow lights sold out of stock almost immediately.

S3-S4 noise is still unacceptable since I use 40 meters for my long haul DX.

Here is the image of the new QTH.

http://www.withmy2hands.org/k6kyj/wpxcw2013/page3.htm

We'll keep the forum updated as things change in the ol' neighborhood. And, I don't think Mr. Rogers would have approved...