[RFI] Apple and Motorola Wall Chargers

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Thu Aug 15 20:56:16 EDT 2013

Don't use any after market Apple Power supplies. They are horribly made linear supplies, which might be quiet, but they are badly designed, single rectifier, bad circuit board layout. There is a not really confirmed rumor that a person in China was electrocuted by one of the knock-offs.

The Apple unit is a well designed switcher, which as far as I know, is quiet, and will charge iPhones and iPads at a high rate quickly and safely.

Note that Apple has a trade in program for people who bought the counterfeit supplies, trade it in, and Apple will sell you a real one for 10 dollars. Which isn't too bad, considering, they are replacing something that the maker of the counterfeit P.S. won't.

But back to the real Apple supply, with it being quiet, there probably isn't much need to replace it. If you really don't want it, charge the iPad off a USB - although it will be slower.

- 73  Mike N3LI -