[RFI] Nest Thermostat

Larry Bryan larry at w8lig.com
Tue Dec 3 13:09:52 EST 2013

I bought a NEST programmable thermostat in 2012 so I could monitor the
house while in Florida. It's worked very well until last month. I was
working 40m and after I was done, the wife wanted to know why the HVAC was
running and cold air coming out of the floor vents. I investigated and
found that both the AC and Heat was running and the thermostat was showing
the wrong temperature.

Calling NEST the next day, I was informed that the base of the thermostat
has fusing and the fuse was blown. NEST sent a replacement base and after
installation, it was working again.

Again last night while working a DXpedition on CW, I shut down and walked
into the family room to find the same thing had happened. My SteppIR is on
a tower directly adjacent to the house and it was raised to about 35 feet.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how I can reduce the RF getting into the
thermostat. Obviously going back to an analog thermostat is a solution but
would like to make that the final solution if possible.
73
Larry - W8LIG