[RFI] Ultrasonic Dish

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Wed Jan 2 17:57:14 EST 2013

On 01/02/2013 04:41 PM, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> I'm just looking to tell WHICH POLE is arcing.

The tool for that, as Lee said, is a VHF/UHF AM receiver, preferably
with directional antenna. You find the pole with RF, specific
hardware with ultrasound, if you care. Ultrasound won't always work,
as experts seem to agree even the professional units will only hear
about half of the power line sources which generate radio noise
(exact numbers vary).

> I think one of the issues with people trying to find exact
> parabolic reflectors vs something "good enough" is what sort of
> resolution they're looking for.

For me it is mostly about sensitivity, not pinpointing accuracy. A
poor parabolic reflector will collect and focus less sound energy
and limit your ability to hear weaker sources. Remember, even the
very best detectors don't hear every source. Some of the power line
sources are quite weak ultrasound emitters, even though they emit
strong radio noise. If being able to find only a few of the noisy
poles is good enough, then by all means go with a "good enough"
detector.

It is nice, though, to be able to determine which piece of hardware
is responsible. That makes it easier to tell (visually) when it has
been fixed.

> Once I can determine which pole it is, can I see the arcing through
> binoculars?

Very rarely will anything be visible.

73,
Paul N1BUG