[RFI] Electric Fence Problems

Ray Benny rayn6vr at cableone.net
Tue Jan 8 23:58:25 EST 2013

For several years I've been living with an electric fence noise mostly on
160M but affecting 80M too. After a great opening to EU 160M last night and
listening thru the fence noise (S5 - S7) I finally got the the nerve to
talk to the owner today (almost a mile away). He was OK with me approaching
him and I was able to run some tests/checks on the control unit. It is a
'Farm Test', Model 20-50 made by Potter & CO., of Chicago. I did some
Google searching but could not find anything the unit or the company. I did
call an electric fence Company in PA., but they have not heard of it
either. Does anyone know of this unit?

I'd like to ask the RFI group for advice and guidance for fixing or
replacing the unit. Apparently, its 10 years old or older, its not a pulse
type and puts out a steady voltage. The noise on my portable SWL RX radio
is S9 plus at the unit. When it is unplugged, the noise goes to zero. I did
try a string of AC filters and toroids on the AC side of the unit, but it
did nothing. So I'm certain that the unit is generating noise and radiating
it thru the 100's of feet of electric fence wire.

I was able to do a little looking around with the owner and found a number
of shabby joints, but when I shook them, there was no change in the noise
level. The ground wire to the control unit is a small 16 ga wire hand
wrapped around an old 1/2 inch galvanized pipe driven in the ground. I was
able to wiggle the ground connection, the noise did not vary. Now I'm
wondering how important a good ground is for an electric fence system? If
need be, I will drive in an 8 ft copper ground rod and use a real ground
clamp.

But, I am more convinced that the controller unit is defective and is
generating the noise. I'm thinking too, maybe the unit was a pulse type but
has failed and only putting out a lower continuous voltage.

Perhaps tomorrow I can drive in the 1/2 inch ground rod and see what it
does. The other thing is to disconnect the fence wire from the control unit
and listen for a change. Without a schematic, I would not know what to do
with it. If the owner will let me take it for a few hours, I could look to
see if there is anything obviously damaged or burnt up.

If it comes down to it, I am willing to buy the guy a new controller unit,
if it would clear up the noise. BTW, I do hear other pulse type electric
fences around, but they are no where as bad and can live with them.

Does anyone know of a good, noise free electric fence unit?

I'm open for suggesting and advice.

Tnx,

Ray,
N6VR