[RFI] Electrical transfomer near shack, a problem?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 10 13:34:50 EST 2013

On 1/9/2013 7:34 PM, William Hein wrote:
> Should I be concerned about any RFI from the transformer's magnetic fields?

Not RFI, but don't overlook the possibility of baseband (power
frequency) leakage magnetic fields around large transformers, or even
from the ground wiring for those transformers.  Such fields are coupled
to loops of wire, and to unshielded audio transformers. Virtually all
audio transformers used by hams are unshielded -- shielded transformers
are used in pro audio (Jensen, of Burbank, CA is the Cadillac brand),
but they aren't cheap.

I wouldn't worry too much about a transformer serving only your home,
but I might be concerned about one serving many homes.

73, Jim K9YC