[RFI] 18-30 MHz RFI

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue Jan 22 15:04:27 EST 2013

Kurt,

I haven't yet tried to correlate observations at the nursery to RFI at my QTH 1/2 mile away.  This RFI has been present for many years, fortunately my antennas are directive enough to minimize the problem except to the southwest.

My next step will be to use a radio and spectrum analyzer (Elecraft P3) in a vehicle to try to more accurately identify the source location.

If its commercial grow lighting as I suspect (using hundreds if not thousands of ballasts), it will be impossible to resolve the problem unless its isolated to just a few offending ballasts.

You can see the facility here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39+16+59+n,+77+01+29+w&hl=en&sll=38.804821,-77.236966&sspn=3.373021,7.13562&t=h&z=17

73
Frank