[RFI] router RFI

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 4 07:34:28 EST 2013

On 3/4/2013 0034, Jim Brown wrote:
> Dale and Cortland -- something you could do for us is provide a good
> description of the spectra that typically results from Ethernet
> traffic so

Unfortunately, being retired I no longer have access to test results
that would refresh my memory, and I (perhaps fortunately) don't have
Ethernet at home that I could use to rediscover it.  Maybe I'll buy a
cheap second-hand router and look; I've a "new" Advantest R3621 analyzer
coming that will need testing.

Something we did years ago at AST Research was to insure that the
shielded Ethernet connector ports (when we started indlcuing them) were
well grounded with a springy metal EMI gasket. IIRC, that is actually
violating of the Ethernet standard, since we uses shielded twosted pair,
and it allows equipment of different ground potentials to be connected
to each other, but that was what we had to do to meet Part 15. Everyone
uses that technique to ground I/O ports nowadays, but I had had to
insist on it a number of times back at Tandy and spent some time arguing
for fingers around board slots, too.

Cortland
KA5S