[RFI] Strong, broadband noise during wet conditions

Matt wedgef5 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 16:21:45 EDT 2013

I'm having a problem with very strong, very broad noise that seems to be
associated with wet conditions.  We recently had two significant
snowfalls, and of course everything was very wet as the snow melted.
The noise I have is just a constant grinding (I can't think of a better
term to describe it) that is virtually continuous from 40m up through
10m.  It is worst on 40-20m.  The snow is all melted now and things have
dried out a bit, and my noise level is back down to normal.  The
connection to the moisture is a subjective evaluation, but I've observed
the high noise level during wet conditions, which then abated upon
drying, on at least two occasions.

I had a friend come by with a mobile HF installation to see if he could
hear it in my driveway, and perhaps isolate it to something inside the
house.  Not only could he hear it in the driveway, but he could also
hear it 1.5 miles away as he drove home!

My initial thought is something power line related, but I thought I'd
bounce it off of the RFI experts on here.  I'm not sure what else could
produce such strong noise over such a wide area.

Thoughts?

Matt, N0EYE