[RFI] Solar System RFI

David C. Cole dave at nk7z.net
Thu Mar 28 12:47:45 EDT 2013

Hi,

Verify it is the controller by contacting your neighbor, and killing
power to it...  That will also serve to break the ice about the entire
subject...  Keep in mind the liability you may have if you help remove
wires etc.

If it is the controller, contact the manufacturer and ask about an RFI
kit, and a tech to install it...  I believe they will have a compulsory
responsibility to assist to it may be free...  If they are out of
business, (lots of Solar companies are), then the responsibility falls
to your neighbor to correct the issue...

While you don't have to help, it is a good idea to assist in this...  To
a point, again remembering that anything you do electrically leaves you
open to possible legal action if the house burns down, etc...

Helping keeps relations with the neighbors good, and gets things done
without the FCC...  I had an issue with a neighbor where he had a xenon
lamp under shelf, it sprayed RFI everywhere at something like 20 over
S9...  He refused to do anything, (even after I offered to purchase a
replacement device for him), and refused to allow me to replace it...
That resulted in a letter from the FCC after which he replaced things...
If all else fails, you can involve the FCC, but that should be the LAST
resort...

On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 08:58 -0700, Kelly Johnson wrote:
> I believe I have identified a new source of RFI in my neighborhood.
> It appears to be coming from the solar system installed last year by
> my next door neighbor.  Noise is about S7 on all bands during daylight
> hours when my beam is pointed in the direction of my neighbor's house.
>  Noise peaks when I am pointing at some sort of junction box on the
> side of the house.  I assume this is the inverter, but can't be sure.
>
> Anyone have suggestions about what to do next?

For equipment reviews and setups see:
http://www.nk7z.net